I’ve been tagged twice, by Kay and by Cragar, with the Eight Random Facts meme. It’s kind of a departure from this blog’s regularly scheduled programming, but I figure it will be fun to play along. And I have a headache and feel crappy this morning, so I could use some fun.
The rules of getting tagged are simple. If you get tagged…
- Post eight random facts about yourself.
- Tag eight other bloggers (hopefully those who haven’t been tagged before).
- Post these rules.
And without any more ado, I shall proceed with eight random facts.
- I am an enlisted infantry soldier in the National Guard. I haven’t been deployed overseas yet, but there’s a good chance I’ll wind up in the sandbox before my enlistment runs out. I have been deployed stateside for hurricanes in Florida and to guard train stations in New York City.
- Scary movies really, really scare me. I’m not talking about all horror genre stuff, here- just because a movie is about ghosts or werewolves or whatever doesn’t mean it’s meant to scare you. But stuff that’s meant to scare you works on me. Seriously; I shriek like a little girl. Ask my wife.
- I have a bizarre fascination for Finland. And I have no explanation for it. My favorite composer? Sibelius. My favorite language? Finnish. My favorite part of World War 2? The Winter War. I even own an English translation of Vaino Linna’s The Unknown Soldier. It’s fantastic- the best war novel I have ever read. Except for maybe For Whom The Bell Tolls.
- I have another blog, called The Goblin’s Lair. It used to be a passionate little political thing, but since starting law school gave me a passion-ectomy, I haven’t written on it very much.
- I almost never watch broadcast TV. I simply don’t remember to tune in, even to shows I love. And when I do remember, I get irritated at having my life dictated to me by a programming schedule. that being said, I watch tons and tons of TV shows on DVD. My wife and I will watch as many as seven or eight episodes of a favorite show when we’re really into it.
- I have a degree in elementary education. I’m even certified to teach K-6 in the state of Florida. I did my student teaching and got my degree and certification, but I decided to go to law school instead of actually teaching full-time. So instead of being stressed out and poor but Making A Difference, I shall be stressed out and rich, and I will donate money to people who Make A Difference.
- I prefer science fiction to fantasy. I prefer harder sci-fi to space opera (Star Wars and Star Trek pretty much fill up all the room I have for space opera). What fantasy I do like is usually darker swords-and-sorcery stuff like Elric or Conan. High fantasy bores me to tears.
- I currently prefer the DC universe to the Marvel universe, but I’ve flip-flopped on this issue more than once in my life. At the moment, though, the only books I regularly buy are Astro City, the Justice League, and Green Arrow.
Now I have to tag eight people to continue the never-ending meme. I hereby tag…
Katyjane at Katy’s Blog
Dando at Mormon and Evagelical Conversations
Jonathan Blake at Green Oasis
Peter at For Peter’s Sake
Beata at Club Beata
Az at Arizona Awakening
Mike at Emerging Pensees
Becca at Beccababes’ Blog